At North River Village we know there can be questions when making a major decision about where you will call home. Our main goal is to provide answers and peace of mind about the choices you have and making you or a family member be as independent as possible. Through planning and working with our trained staff, each resident will be treated with the utmost respect and dignity.

What services and arrangements are provided by an assisted living community?
At North River Village, our assisted living community provides each client with a separate living unit that includes a lockable door and private bathroom. The client can receive assistance with activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, grooming), as well as assistance with self-administering his/her own medication. meals, housekeeping, transportation and laundry are included in the price. Each client may directly arrange with an outside agency or individual to receive health care services, subject to any related policy of the assisted living community and the state regulations.

Is an assisted living community the same as a nursing home?
No. Assisted living communities in Alabama are defined and regulated differently than nursing homes, although some of the same services are provided. For example, both assisted living communities and nursing homes can provide assistance with activities of daily living (such as bathing, grooming, dressing, etc. However, nursing homes can deliver skilled nursing services, while a client in an assisted living community must directly arrange with an outside agency or individual to receive this type health care services. Generally speaking, assisted living communities offer more privacy and independence, because each client has a separate living unit with a lockable door, private bathroom and usually an individual thermostat control.

Are assisted living services the same in every state?
No. States have different definitions of assisted living and different regulations.

Do I have to share a living unit (i.e., apartment) with another client?
No. However, you can request to share a living unit with a spouse or another individual under mutual agreement.

Do I have to sign any legal papers?
Yes. An assisted living community in Alabama is required under law to provide you with a lease agreement for your thorough review, which then must be signed. This lease agreement addresses all provisions, policies, rights, responsibilities and protections for both the client and the assisted living community.

Will an assisted living or Independent Living community provide me with transportation to my doctor, etc.?
Yes.  North River Village includes transportation assistance in its lease agreement.

Can someone help me take my medication?
Yes. The assisted living community employees can, at your request, assist you in self-administering your own medication. In other words, they can remind you to take your medication, read labels, help open your medication containers and help store your medication.

Can I bring furniture and furnishings for my living unit?
Yes. We encourage clients to bring their own furniture, furnishings and keepsakes.

What determines the cost of living in an assisted living and Independent living community?
The cost of living at North River Village in either an Assisted or Independent living community, will usually depend on the size/type of your living unit. At North River Village Assisted Living the price is all inclusive.  If  an assisted living community is not like North River  Village they might charge a fee per service which can add up quickly.  Assisted living communities are required to disclose all available services and fees.

Are the assisted living community employees required to be trained?
Yes. employees are required to be trained on a variety of key topics applicable to their assigned duties.

Do assisted living communities conduct criminal records checks on their employees?
No, but  North River Village Assisted living does conducts their own background checks. It is very important for the safety of our residents.  The Alabama Department Public Health does require that the Nurse Aide Abuse Registry be checked for all employees.

Does Medicare or Medicaid pay for assisted living services in Alabama?
No. Neither Medicare nor Medicaid pay for these services. However, you might qualify for coverage if you’re receiving health care services from an outside licensed health care provider.

Do long term care insurance policies pay for services in assisted living communities?
Most policies sold today are comprehensive. They typically allow you to use your daily benefit in a variety of settings,  For more information, you can contact the  The Administration for Community Living (ACL) is the Administrator of the National Clearinghouse for Long-Term Care Information Administration on Community Living Washington, DC 20201, Phone: 202-619-0724, aclinfo@acl.hhs.gov.  If you or your spouse is a veteran, you may qualify for a veterans benefit called Aid in Attendance.  Contact us  North River Village for additional information about Aid in Attendance or other questions about assisted living insurance coverage.

Will I ever have to move out of the assisted living community?
Alabama assisted living regulations define admission and continued stay eligibility rules for assisted living residents.  All residents must be given a 30-day notice of discharge, except in certain emergency situations. For more information contact your local Area Agency on Aging (AAA) and Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC) at 1-800-AGE-LINE (1-800-243-5463).

Call 1-800-AGELINE (1-800-243-5463) to reach the Area Agency on Aging and Aging and Disability Resource Center that serves your county.  If you are calling from a landline you will be connected directly to the agency that serves the county from which you are calling.

West Alabama Regional Commission
4200 Highway 69 North, Suite 1
P.O. Box 509
Northport, AL 35476-0509
(205) 333-2990
Serving Bibb, Fayette, Greene, Hale, Lamar, Pickens and Tuscaloosa